Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Raising a Daughter

Lately it has really been hitting me how fast Mackenzie is growing up. She has shot up in height this past year and is now taller than my grandma. She is a young woman and no longer a little girl. I have to admit that I was not ready to hear that she is ready to shave her legs and already hear these words: "All my friends are doing it". YIKES! It makes me sad that she is growing up so quickly, but I'm also excited for the future. That being said, I am also very SCARED! With everything we continually see on tv as well as read in magazines, etc, I'm very nervous about her growing up in a world whose morals seem to be quickly dissolving. So instead of letting my fears get the best of me...I'm going to take action!! I am about half way through a book called "Your Girl, Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World" by Vicki Courtney. So far I love it! The beginning of the book goes over statistics (which I'm sure are even scarier now since this book was published in 2004). The facts listed aren't very encouraging for mothers out there, but we can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the issues that society is pressing on our children are not real. She also compares our times (2001) with years past - and it makes me sad how much our society has changed and how much our kids are going to be faced with. I just wanted to recommend this book for all of the mothers out there! Vicki Courtney also has published a similar book entitled "Your Boy, Raising a Godly Son in an Ungodly World". This book is next on my list.

On a side note, something that did strike me is she mentions how Christians are often silent in the world, and don't always stand up for what we believe in because often we are too afraid of offending someone. Although I know that the talks I will have with Mackenzie and Blake over the upcoming years, will not be comfortable and much of what I will say is going to contradict what is being pushed at them by society....I'm not going to risk my family's well-being just to be "PC" or to not offend someone. I want to make sure that the values God gives us in the Bible are passed along to my children. It's not going to be an easy task, but the Bible says that I am not alone...

Proverbs 3:5-7
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes. Fear the Lord and depart from evil.


So check out her website for more of her books and information about her ministry. http://www.vickicourtney.com/ I know Jake & I are ahead of many of our friends in the "kid department", but it's never to early to begin preparing - even if your kids are little, trust me the "tween" years sneak up fast and now I feel like I'm having to prepare too quickly for the trials ahead in the upcoming years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing right by your kids, Noelle. I will have so much to learn from you guys! Stay strong, don't waiver and your kids will respect you more!