Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Museum of Natural History

Yesterday we took our first official field trip this summer. In addition to the book reports, we hope to be able to take the kids on at least one educational field trip a week.

The day started off rough, first google gave us the wrong directions - so we ended up in China Town...then I put my foot up on the dash...and hear this ripping sound...yes my jeans ripped right across the butt! Not a very uplifting moment during the drive (I guess I need to step up my exercising routine!) Luckily I had a sweater in the car to tie around my waist!

Despite the rough beginnings - we had a great time. Blake had recently been to the museum with his class from school, so I was a little concerned that he would be bored. Thankfully he had such a great time and frequently gave Jacob & I the "tour" of the museum. Although his facts weren't always quite straight (he said a 20' high object was what the Indians used for a wheel barrow) - it was very cute to see him so interested in the history of CA!

Mackenzie brought a friend of hers from the neighborhood. They both had a fun time, although Mackenzie is getting to the stage of being "too cool" for museums. She did enjoy the Mammals of Africa section, since monkeys are her favorite animal. We spent about 2 hours leisurely exploring the museum. Today the kids are going to journal about their experience -so it will be interesting to see what they write :)








Pictures from the Butterfly Exhibit

Even though Jake is looking down in the picture above, notice the butterfly flying in front of his shirt. We had to really watch where we were walking, not only were the butterflies flying all around us, they were also "sunning" themselves on the ground.
ok, so over & over again we told Blake not to touch the butterflies, but even though he had some trouble following these directions...I still had to take a picture. I did notice that after this shot, the museum guide happened to follow us around quite a bit :)


1 comment:

Mary LeMonnier said...

Fun! Long Beach Museum of Art has free Fridays, in case you didn't know!