Monday, October 26, 2009

Las Vegas

This past weekend we took our family on a quick get-away to Vegas. We had such a good time – but are completely worn out!


Mackenzie & I attended a mother/daughter conference featuring the author I have discussed before – Vicki Courtney. The girls split up into groups of their age groups – and discussed “growing up” – basically what is happening to their bodies – as well as any struggles they are currently facing – or may face in the future. Kenzie really liked her group leader and seemed to enjoy her time. While the kids were out of the room – the speaker discussed many of the issues that we as moms need to be aware of. Scary – but very informative. If you have a daughter – I strongly recommend checking out her site http://vickicourtney.com/ - and check out her books. I’ve read “Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World” and am in the process of reading “5 Conversations You Must Have with your Daughter”. She also has a book “Raising a Godly Son in an Ungodly World” that I plan to read next. Anyways – Kenzie & I had a some good mother/daughter time together and began to discuss some of the uncomfortable conversations that moms have to have with their daughters. We still haven’t had the official “talk” yet – but I’ve opened the door for it – so wish me luck!! On a side note – we went to a Dim Sum restaurant for lunch – I wouldn’t recommend going there for a first time without someone who is familiar with the menu – none of the waitresses spoke English! They would come around our table asking us in Chinese what we wanted – the dishes could have been anything – nothing other than chow mein was recognizable - I still have no idea what I ate – it was good - but a little scary!!


The resort we stayed in was perfect for kids – it was south of the strip & didn’t have a casino – I know I know – what fun is that?! However it was the perfect environment for our kids. We took our exchange student, Sumi, with us since she had never been to Vegas before. Jake, Sumi & Blake spent Saturday at the pools. The resort was great – it had a large pool with a volleyball net, a sand beach – plus a lazy river. Blake loved spending time in the lazy river! Saturday evening we took everyone to the strip to eat dinner & see the lights. I knew Vegas was dirty – so we warned the kids ahead of time – that if we tell them to cover their eyes – to just do it without question. Well it was tough to catch everything – it really is a disgusting city. With the cards that are thrown out all over the sidewalks – poor Blake just finally decided to walk with his eyes closed while I led him around the town. He even asked me if Vegas had a Mayor and if so why he wasn’t putting all of these people in jail. Sumi really enjoyed the lights & I’m sure wished she could have spent more time shopping. Jake & I had a good time but were so exhausted – driving 4 hours to get there on Friday night & then driving 5.5 hours on Sunday really wore us out! The kids have now seen Vegas & we don’t plan on taking them back any time soon! They did enjoy checking out the hotels despite all of the gross pictures everywhere. On Sunday we spent the morning at the lazy river – which was wonderful! All in all – a nice weekend away – but it’s good to be home!

Above - Jake dragging the kids under the waterfall in the lazy river.
The lazy river

Above - the kids playing volleyball with Jake

Kenzie & Blake in the Venetian


Kasumi, Blake, Kenzie & Jake



I had to include this shot - on the way to Vegas Kenzie had her head on Blake's shoulder almost the whole way - not often does Blake allow this - so I had to take a picture!

1 comment:

Mary LeMonnier said...

How fun!! What a great trip and it sounds like a really good conference. I am so glad I'm going to have you to ask advice of in ten years or so!